recent journal articles related to southern Africa, in date and author order
View publications by Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Unit staff not listed below
- Fabricius V, Langa M, Wilson K. (2008). An exploratory investigation of co-occurring substance related and psychiatric disorder. Journal of Substance Use 13: 99-114
- Kalichman SC, Simbayi LC, Vermaak R, Jooste S, Cain D. (2008). HIV/AIDS risks among men and women who drink at informal alcohol serving establishments (shebeens) in Cape Town, South Africa. Prevention Science.
- Lane T, Shade SB, McIntyre J, Morin SF. (2008). Alcohol and sexual risk behavior among men who have sex with men in South African Township Communities. AIDS & Behavior.
- Roerecke M, Obot I, Patra J, Rehm J. (2008). Volume of alcohol consumption, patterns of drinking and burden of disease in sub-Saharan Africa 2002-implications for alcohol policy. African Journal of Drug and Alcohol Studies.
- Fisher JC, Bang H, Kapiga SH. (2007). The Association between HIV infection and alcohol use: a systematic review and meta-analysis of African studies. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 34: 856-863.
- Kalichman SC, Simbayi LC, Kaufman M, Cain D, Jooste S. (2007). Alcohol use and sexual risks for HIV AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa: Systematic review of empirical findings. Prev Sci.
- Kalichman SC, Simbayi LC, Cain D, Jooste S. (2007). Alcohol expectancies and risky drinking among men and women at high-risk for HIV infection in Cape Town South Africa. Addictive Behaviors.
- McCurdy S, Kilonzo GP, Williams M, Kaaya S. (2007). Harm reduction in Tanzania: an urgent need for multisectoral intervention. International Journal of Drug Policy 18.
- Reddy P, Resnicow K, Omardien R, Kambaran N. Prevalence and correlates of substance use among high school students in South Africa and the United States. American Journal of Public Health 97.
- Sifunda S, Reddy SP, Braithwaite RB, Stephens T, Bhengu T, Ruiter RAC, van der Borne B. (2007). The relationship between alcohol and drug use and sexual behaviour amongst prison inmates in developing countries: the case of South Africa. International Journal of Prisoner Health 3.
- Kalichman SC, Simbayi LC, Kagee A, Toefy Y, Jooste S, Cain D, Cherry C. (2006). Associations of poverty, substance use, and HIV transmission risk behaviors in three South African communities. Social Science & Medicine 62.
- McCurdy SA, Ross MW, Kilonzo GP, Leshabari MT, Williams ML. (2006). HIV/AIDS and injection drug use in the neighborhoods of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Drug & Alcohol Dependence 82 (Suppl. 1).
- Odejide AO. Status of Drug Use/abuse in Africa: a review. (2006). Int J Ment Health Addict 4: 87-102.
- Roos JL, Pretorius HW, Karayiorgou M, Boraine H. (2006). Cannabis and other variables affecting age at onset in a schizophrenia founder population. S Afr Psychiatry Rev 9.
- Zablotska IB, Gray RH, Serwadda D, Nalugoda F, Kigozi G, Sewankambo N, Lutalo T, Mangen FW, Wawer M. (2006). Alcohol use before sex and HIV acquisition: a longitudinal study in Rakai, Uganda. AIDS 20: 1191-1196.
- Hoyme HE, May PA, Kalberg WO, Kodituwakku P, Gossage JP, Trujillo PM, Buckley DG, Miller JB, Khaole N, Viljoen DL, Jones KL, Robinson LK. (2005). A practical clinical approach to diagnosis of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: clarification of the 1996 Institute of Medicine Criteria. Pediatrics, 115:39-47.
- May PA, Marais A-S, Gossage JP, Viljoen DL. (2005). Epidemiological analysis of a third wave of data about children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders and controls in the Western Cape Province, South Africa. Alcohol Clin Exp Research, 29(5), 43A.
- May PA, Marais A-S, Gossage JP, Viljoen DL. (2005). Maternal risk factors for fetal alcohol spectrum disorders in the Western Cape Province, South Africa. A third wave of data. Alcohol Clin Exp Research, 29 (5), 44A.
- May PA, Brooke LE, Gossage JP, Snell CL, Hendricks LS, Croxford JA, Marais A-S, Viljoen DL. (2005). Maternal risk factors for fetal alcohol syndrome in the Western Cape Province of South Africa: a population-based study. American Journal of Public Health 95.
- McCurdy SA. (2005). ‘Flashblood' and HIV risk among IDUs in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. British Medical Journal. August.
- Phorano OD, Nthomang, K, Ntseane, D. (2005). Alcohol abuse, gender-based violence and HIV/AIDS in Botswana: establishing the link based on empirical evidence. Journal of Social Aspects of HIV/AIDS, 2: 188-202.
- Nazarius TM, Rogers K. (2005). Alcohol and its association with sexual abstinence, condom use and risky behaviour among unmarried young people aged 18-24 years in Uganda. African Journal of Drug & Alcohol Studies, 4.
- Viljoen D, Gossage JP, Brooke L, Adnams C, Jones KL, et.al. (2005). Fetal alcohol syndrome epidemiology in a South African community: a second study of a very high prevalence area, J Stud Alcohol 66.
- Ward CL, Mertens JR, Flisher AJ, Bresick GF, Sterling SA, Distiller GB, Weisner CM. (2005). Substance abuse and HIV risk behaviours amongst primary health care service users in Cape Town. S Afr Psychiatry Rev, 8:160-165.
- Wechsberg WM, Luseno WK, Lam WK. (2005). Violence against substance-abusing South African sex workers: intersection with culture and HIV risk. AIDS Care: June.
- Adnams CM, Lavies D, Kodituwakku PW, Kitching A, Viljoen DL, May P. (2004). Cognitive and behavioural function in consecutive cohorts of children with FAS in a high risk region of South Africa. Alcohol Clin Exp Research, 28(5) 43A.
- Bowley DM, Rein P, Cherry R, Vellema J, Snyman T, Boffard KD. (2004). Substance abuse and major trauma in Johannesburg. SAJS, 42 (1): 7-10.
- Khaole NCO, Ramchandani VA, Viljoen DL, Li T-K. (2004). A pilot study of alcohol exposure and pharmacokinetics in women with or without children with fetal alcohol syndrome. Alcohol and Alcoholism, September 6.
- King G, Flisher AJ, Noubary F, Reece R, Marais A, Lombard C. (2004). Substance abuse and behavioural correlates of sexual assault among South African adolescents. Child Abuse & Neglect, 28: 683-696.
- Mager A. (2004). ‘White liquor hits black livers’: meanings of excessive liquor consumption in South Africa in the second half of the twentieth century. Social Science & Medicine, 59, 735-751.
- May PA, Gossage JP, White-County M, Goodhart K, DeCoteau S, Trujillo PM, Kalberg WO, Viljoen DL, Hoyme HE. (2004). Alcohol consumption and other maternal risk factors for fetal alcohol syndrome among three distinct samples of women before, during and after pregnancy. The risk is relative. American Journal of Medical Genetics, Part C, Seminars in Medical Genetics, 127C:10-20.
- May PA, Harrick KJ, Brooke LE, Marais A-S, Gossage JP, Viljoen DL. (2004). Nutrition-its possible contribution to fetal alcohol syndrome among coloured women in the Western Cape Province, South Africa. Alcohol Clin Exp Res, 28(5), 125A.
- Pienaar W. (2004). The treatment of alcohol dependence – new horizons. S Afr Med J, 94 (4): 264-266.
- Van der Bijl P. (2004). Substances of abuse – demand for their determinations in the Western Cape. South African Psychiatry Review, 10: 13-16.
- Bekker D, Van Velden DP. (2003). Alcohol misuse in patients attending a defence force general medical clinic. SA Fam Pract 2003; 45 (2): 10-15.
- Brink S, Oosthuizen P, Emsley R, Mbanga I, Keyter N. (2003). Relationship between substance abuse and first psychiatric episode psychosis – a South African experience. South African Journal of Psychiatry, 9, 7-12.
- Madu SN, Matla M-QP. (2003). Illicit drug use, cigarette smoking and alcohol drinking behaviour among a sample of high school adolescents in the Pietersburg area of the Northern Province, South Africa. Journal of Adolescence, 26, 121-136.
- Skjelmerud, A. Drinking and life. (2003). The meanings of alcohol for young Namibian women. Contemporary Drug Problems, 30:619-645.
- Taylor M, Dlamini SB, Kagoro H, Jinabhai CC, de Vries H. (2003). Understanding high school students’ risk behaviors to help reduce the HIV/AIDS epidemic in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Journal of School Health, 73(3): 97-100.
- Viljoen D, Craig P, Hymbaugh K, Boyle C, Blount S. (2003). Fetal Alcohol Syndrome --- South Africa, 2001. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report July 18, Vol. 52 No. 28.
- Zervogiannis FH, Wiechers E, Bester G. (2003). The “E” in Rave: a profile of young Ecstasy (MDMA) users. South African Journal of Psychology, 33 (3): 162-169.
- Taylor M, Jinabhai CC, Naidoo K, Kleinschmidt I, Dlamini SB. (2002). An epidemiological perspective of substance use amongst high school learners in rural Kwazulu-Natal. S Afr Med J, 2002; 93(2), 136-140.
- Viljoen D, Croxford J, Gossage JP, Kodituwakku PW, May PA. (2002). Characteristics of mothers of children with fetal alcohol syndrome in the Western Cape Province of South Africa: a case control study. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 63, 6-17.
- Adnams CM, Kodituwakku P, Hay A, Molteno C, Viljoen D, May PA. (2001). Patterns of cognitive-motor development in children with FAS from a community in South Africa. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 25(4):557-562.
- Flisher AJ, Chalton DO. (2001). Urbanisation and adolescent risk behaviour. S Afr Med J, 91, 243-249.
- Leggett T. (2001). Drugs, sex work, and HIV in three South African cities. Society in Transition, 32 (1), 101-109.
- Peltzer K, Malaka D, Phaswana N. (2001). Psychological correlates of substance use among South African university students. Social Behaviour and Personality: an International Journal 21 (8): 787-799.
- Carbohydrate-Deficient Transferrin in a rural Lesotho community. Alcohol & Alcoholism, 36, 243-248.
- Flisher AJ, Kramer RA, Hoven CW, King RA, Bird HR, Davies M, Gould MS, Greenwald S, Lahey BB, Regier DA, Schwab-stone M, Sahffer D. (2000). Risk behaviour in a community sample of children and adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 39, 881-887.
- Gureje O. (2000). Alcohol Problems and Responses: Challenges for Africa. J Subst Use, 5, 56-61.
- London L. (2000). Alcohol Consumption Amongst South African Farm Workers: A Challenge for Post-Apartheid Health Sector Transformation. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 59, 1999-206.
- May PA, Brooke L, Gossage JP, Croxford J, Adnams C, Jones KL, Robinson L, Viljoen D. (2000). Epidemiology of fetal alcohol syndrome in a South African community in the Western Cape Province. American Journal of Public Health, 90, 1902-1912.
- Peden M, van der Spuy J, Smith P, Bautz P. (2000). Substance Abuse and Trauma in Cape Town. S Afr Med J, 90, 251-255.
- Peltzer K, Cherian L. (2000). Substance abuse among urban and rural secondary school pupils in South Africa. Psychological reports 87(2): 582-584.
- Room R, Carlini-Cotrim B, Gureye O, Jernigan D. Makela K, Marchall M, Monteiro M, Medina-Mora ME, Parry CDH, Partanen J, Riley L, Saxena S. (2000). Alcohol policies in developing countries: Perspectives from a project. J Subst Use, 5, 2-5.